Pages

Come on Over to the Craft Cabin


"I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day." James Joyce

Campers! It's time for crafts! How have we survived this long without an arts and crafts day? It's going to be a 2-parter post because I need to do the homework along with you and share all of our results. Are you ready?

So a millenia ago (meaning last week) I requested that you share some favorite motivational quotes. Words that inspire you to keep going. I have myself a little red journal from my dear friend Emma where I keep loads of great advice from those who have had more experience than I. But what good does it do for me to keep these treasures hidden between the covers of a book?

Here is the project:

Choose a quote or scripture or song lyric or cliche or SOMETHING and craft it. What does that mean? Turn it into something you can see every day. Since I'm low on time for craftiness right now I'll most likely just write it on a piece of white paper and slap it to some scrapbook paper. You could write it on a piece of masking tape, cross-stitch it, spray paint it on your car... the niceness of the project isn't really that important (except that you're going to be looking at it). What is important is to put it up on a wall or propped on a desk or tucked in your planner somewhere that you will see it often.


The best part, after you've made your quoteable reminder, share it! Take a picture and e-mail it to me elle.mccall @ myldsmail.net. We're going to share with the world how we keep ourselves motivated! Think of it as making your camp cabin flag!

If you don't already have something in mind here are what some of your fellow campers have shared, plus a few from me at the end.

From Brooke:
"The context is not in your control, but your commitment is yours to make, and you can make the deepest commitment with a total detachment about where it will take you."- Vandana Shiva

 "Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."- Rumi

“Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.” ― Lao Tzu

From mi madre:

"Don't SHOULD all over yourself"

From Elder Barton:

"Life, for me, is about giving. If by one small act I can make someone happy, it brightens up my day."- Benazir Bhutto

"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."- Dale Carnegie

"As we seek to rescue others, may we not be bound by time-tested templates and self-imposed perceptions that restrict our spiritual creativity and lock out revelation."-Elder Spencer J. Condie
From Sister Valentine:
 ‎"The chiefest cause of failure is trading what we want most, for what we want at the moment."

and from me!
"Take risks while you can. Never let the fear of not knowing what will happen deter you from trying. Its the things we don't expect that make life interesting." - Christine Chai

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable in others because God has forgive the inexcuseable in you." -C.S. Lewis

"Anyone can give up. Its the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you feel apart, that is true strength."

"It's better to desire the things we have than to have the things we desire." -Henry Van Dyke

"The habit of being happy enables one to be freed, or largely freed, from the domination of outward conditions." -Robert Louis Stevenson

1 sweet messages:

Alexander Barton said...

I love your blog. And it's always fun to hear you say "Be an Optimist Prime, not a Negatron." Definitely a Sister McCall classic. I find that reading the scriptures and sharing cheesy Laffy Taffy jokes help me be an Optimist Prime.