Pages

Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me

I love most all things nautical. This love may have stemmed from my Dad's obsession with Popeye or from growing up playing in the ocean. My fear of sharks is unbelieveably ridiculous so not all pieces of this obsession really make sense.

Proof of the Popeye fanaticism. This is my first Halloween!

You may be wondering at this point ok, nice story, what does this have to do with anything? Lets try to make a connection here Sister McCall! Here it is!
I love studying parables in the scriptures because they are stories that teach principles of the gospel in a way that applied to the lives of those present. It wouldn't do much good to teach with an analogy they didn't understand! (You know I don't understand fishing metaphors!!! Name that movie?) 
During His ministry several of Christ's disicples were fishermen and he taught them how to spread the good news of the gospel by saying "come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men." Mark 1:16-17 
So this applies to me how? I'm not a fisherman. How do I come to understand these passages today? Well I do have that fascination of the ocean and I have really come to love these sea-faring scriptures through music. I posted a link to some Hymns last week and I suggested listening to the "Master the Tempest is Raging". I'm going to share that link again but this time listen to "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me."

My thoughts are not always as organized as I'd like them to be and I have a few other thoughts about ocean/fishing/sailor things that I have come to love in the scriptures.  So hopefully this will become a little series of posts so I can share just one idea at a time.

Check out a new link in the "goodies" section of the blog to find the image that got me thinking about this topic!

1 sweet messages:

Heidi said...

Here fishy Fishy FISHY!
Love your note ;-)