Pages

Where Do You Find Your JOY?

Happiness is:

A bottle of Mexican Coca Cola!


A snack size jar of Nutella!

Umm...probably not the best mottos in the world. Those things sure make us happy but its an instant gratification, something that we can only enjoy in the very moment we are tasting the sugar rush!

For the past 4 months I've cut out almost all of the things that I thought made me happy so that I can have a full force dedication to missionary work. That means no movies, dating, quilting, crafting, countless hours on the internet, late nights or phone calls home to my mommy at the end of the day. I was worried that I would just find myself curled up in a ball at the end of each day crying about how miserable life was. I'm here to tell you that my fears were not a premonition of what was to come. In fact I'm more happy now than I have been in the past year of my life, maybe the happiest I've been in my ENTIRE life!

Seems pretty ridiculous that cutting out things that brought me joy lead me to so much happiness now. That's because I haven't told you what I replaced those things with! I spend 2 hours every morning studying the scriptures, one hour by myself and one hour with my companion Sister Joy Valentine. I then spend the entire rest of the day (minus 2 hours for lunch and dinner) teaching people about the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

So yes, there is a little bit of irony that this post talks about Joy and that is the name of my current companion but she's a constant reminder to me of real delight in living each day! My happiness that I thrive on comes from living the Gospel of Jesus Christ and following God's commandments!

2 sweet messages:

Romney Family said...

what a great post and so awesome that you and Sister Valentine are companions!! we sure miss you both!!!!

Heidi said...

Mmmmmmmm.......Nutella!!! I had that on digestive biscuits last night for an emergency. Then some Costco chicken salad scooped up on Hawwaiian style sweet and spicy potato chips then the last few fritos.....then j/k then I went to bed before my mouth took over my entire body! Self control also known as self mastery is why we are here right? Mommy loves you lil' punkin sister! Keep working hard even when.....remember service overcomes....., well, ALL OF IT! (Said in a steffon accent of course)