Pages

Peace, Be Still

What does the word busy mean?
I could be a nerd and post some dictionary definition, but I would rather have you think about what makes you busy in life. What do you do all day? Work, take the kids to school/dance/ball games, make dinner, go to meetings, clean the house, doctor's appointments, grocery shop...the list goes on and on, and is pretty much the same for everyone right?
"I'm too busy" is an excuse I hear so often. Well stop, lets think about this. We each have control over our schedules right? I think that being too busy is a cop-out for not having a prioritized day.
Would you want to face the Savior at Judgment day and say "Sorry Jesus, I was just too busy to make time for you"
I plan on not letting that be my story.
Making life changes is so hard. We're a habit loving people! I think the most effective way to make changes is to set a goal. And make it a big one. Then break down what you're going to have to do each day to get yourself to that goal. A marathon runner doesn't succeed by running 26 miles every day but by setting goals for a run each day and building upon those miles.
I'm going to cut the word busy out of my vocabulary.  I am going to list the things that are most important in my week and plan out specific times to do those things, like reading my scriptures every morning and visit with people that I am teaching every day. Then I can fill in my time with the less urgent things like visiting with active members of the Church. If you want to do something you can make the time to do it.
I urge anyone who reads this to evaluate how you use your time in a day. Are you devoting time to doing the things the Lord requires? How about a scripture for some motivation?
Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
I will offer up an idea, a suggestion on how to begin this process today. Our days are hectic. Drink a glass of water. Ah! Refreshing! Now sit back and go to this website and listen to "Master The Tempest is Raging."

*
I love this song so much and how it takes a story from the Bible and makes it so applicable to us today. I often feel overcome in by waves of trial and it is turning to Christ that I know I can accomplish my goals in spite of everything else that is pressing. Enjoy the calm spirit that comes from the uplifting song, then get up and go!

2 sweet messages:

:cassia marie: said...

B uried
U nder
S atan's
Y oke

thanks for the reminder!

Brooke said...

I think that there is a huge difference between "busy" and "preoccupied"... I believe that "busy" is a genuine state of having one's plate filled of tasks and obligations that need to be completed before the day's end. To be "Preoccupied" is to imagine that our obligations cannot wait for five minutes while we take a break and breathe. Regardless of one's "busy" life, it is always possible to bend and flex a schedule around to encompass a goal if someone really wants to make some change in life.
Read scriptures during lunch, take that second to pray when you feel like your "busy" life seems to be too much to handle. It is in simple steps that we find greater comfort in making more time for these small gestures. Soon they may not feel like a burden.
I think that my favorite nerdy psychology joke I have heard is this: How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?... Only one, but it has to WANT to be changed.
Such a good post and some really good reminders :)