Pages

Not Just A Drop In The Ocean

Girl's Camp every summer was one of the things that I looked forward to the most each year. When I was 15 there was a big hiking trip that the girls go on separately from the week of summer camp to demonstrate the things we'd learned at the past few years of camp. I was so terrified that I was going to have to survive in the woods for a whole weekend carrying my bed and everything else I needed on my back without even having a real toilet. I love being outside, I just don't like living out there in the wild! Yes. I am a total wuss.

Luckily it was a dry summer and the fire danger was too high where we were planing on going and we wouldn't be able to cook the meals we'd brought. Hallelujah! We settled into a campground instead.
Around the campfire one night we sang fun silly songs about hippos and bugs and mayonnaise on tootsie rolls(I still haven't figured that one out) but we transitioned into songs about the Savior, hymns and children's songs that brought the Spirit to our meeting.
I don't remember much about what we talked about that night. What I do remember is that our Stake President spoke that night and he read a verse of scripture that has been prominent in my memory since that night. He read from the Doctrine and Covenants 64:33-34 (ok, this is the part where you click on that link and read the scripture!)

When I heard the words "out of small things proceedeth that which is great" the words to a Michelle Branch song started playing in my head. She sings "I was drifting away like a drop in the ocean" and I thought of how the ocean is made up of millions of tiny drops of water. It would be impossible to count how many drops were in just a bucket of water, let alone a whole ocean! But if those little specks of water were not all there together there could be no sea, no underwater habitats where billions of creatures thrive, no surf for us to play in on the shore.  Think of how each of those small particles come together to create something great.

All of the missionaries in the Hopkinsville/Clarksville area

I constantly think about this scripture as a missionary. I try to say hi to every person I come in contact with and I am learning to not be ashamed or afraid to share the gospel with as many people as I can. It's amazing how simply going up to a woman watering her roses turns into a discussion of how the gospel of Jesus Christ blesses our families. I love it. It may not be a huge act, but each wave or greeting is a drop in the ocean of missionary work. If people are not willing to listen to our message when we come to our doors I hope that they at least see me leave with a smile and want to know what it is that makes me so happy. My every action is a representation of the Savior and our Church. That's a pretty weighty responsibility but I embrace it with my whole heart! I hope someday soon the drops I'm adding to the spiritual sea will be a force for good and bring others to Christ! 

0 sweet messages: